As you grow older, not only do you grow wiser but as a sign of wisdom, you start
losing your hair. Thin hair has been the result of time. But other factors like
heredity, modern hair styling treatments like perming, bleaching, coloring etc.
have also led to thin hair. Bad diets and stress also have an adverse effect on
the thickness of hair.
The following tips give you some advice on how to control hair thinning
• Color your hair: When you color your hair, they appear thicker since the
process actually roughs up the hair. It is easier to give the appearance of
fullness since the hair strands slide one another and lie flat against each
other. Use lighter colors since they hide the scalp very easily.
• Choose a curly look: When you curl your hair, they appear fuller since the
wavy look alters the surface of the hair.
• Blow-dry your hair: Blow drying the hair will make the hair two to three times
thicker without harming the scalp. It plumps up the hair so that they look
higher. But keep the dryer two to three times away from the hair to avoid
causing excessive dryness. Also, use a conditioner after shampoo if you tend to
blow dry your hair regularly.
• Use protein shampoo daily: When you wash your hair daily, the hair oils are
removed, it gives the hair more body so that it looks thicker than the normal.
Using shampoos with hydrolyzed animal proteins, also called thickeners, they
give the hair more diameter. They coat the hair so that each shaft appears two
to three times fuller than usual. Also, the hair appears fluffy and hence, looks
• Try a kitchen conditioner: Mix a tablespoon of white vinegar with a pint of
water and massage onto the hair after shampooing. Vinegar changes the chemical
balance of the hair to acidic and thus gives a full appearance to thinning hair.
• Use eggs: Crack an egg over the hair before shampooing. Massage it for five
minutes and then rinse out. It has the same effect as protein shampoos as egg is
an animal protein.
• Use minimal commercial conditioners: Usually, conditioners are used to give
the volume to the hair. But people use quantities more than required and thus
give the hair a limp look. Always use a teaspoon of conditioner for every wash.
• Use mousse: before going out, always style your hair with mousse to make the
hair appear fuller. Since mousse contains resins, they coat the hair and add
diameter to it. It lifts the hair off the scalp and gives it a fuller
About the Author: Sharon Hopkins
manages sites related to hair and skin care. Find information on
hair care tips, guide
to various types of hair, home remedies for thinning of hair and much more.
Thinning hair is a problem plaguing both men and women.